HTTP, the base of every website, is generally insecure and easy to hack. Eavesdropping attacks are not unheard of if the connection is not secure… thus, if critical and sensitive information like credit card details or passwords are picked up mid-transmission, attackers can gain access to online accounts and sensitive information quite easily.
SSL, Secure Sockets Layer, is an encryption technology created by Netscape, which thwarts such attacks!
In essence SSL creates an encrypted connection between your web server and your visitors' web browser allowing for private information to be transmitted without the problems of eavesdropping, data tampering, or message forgery.
It is fast and easy to enable this technology, which can be done simply by installing an SSL Certificate on your website.
According to an online research, almost 70% of online shoppers terminate online orders because they don’t trust the transaction. Installing an SSL certificate simply reassures your clients and site visitors of the safety, security and confidentiality that your website provides.
Why should you use SSL, you ask?
- To secure online credit or debit card / bank transactions.
- To secure system logins and sensitive information.
- To secure webmail and applications like Outlook Web Access, Exchange and Office Communications Server.
- To secure workflow and virtualization applications or cloud-based computing platforms.
- To secure the connection between an email clients and email servers.
- To secure hosting control panel logins
- To secure intranet based traffic and network logins
Thus, if you have an online store or offer a log-in/sign-in on your site or process sensitive data such as address, birth date, license or ID numbers or passwords and value privacy, you need an SSL certificate today!